Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Crack of Dawn (1,001 miles)

1,001 miles on the Nike plus watch since I got it April 21, 2010

Last run 4.28 miles,  road, cloudy/dark, 36 degrees
4.28 miles this week, Sunday start day

I rolled out of bed at 5:00 AM, slipped on my Nike Vomero 5's, and hit the road.  Even though it is dark, early morning is my favorite time to run.  The first thing I notice is the lack of background traffic noise which is constant throughout the day.  The birds are singing quietly and the trickling of a brook can be heard.  A nearly full moon peaks out every now and then behind the thick cloud cover.  It rained yesterday, leaving the air clean and cool with a little humidity.  Deep breaths clear my airways and awaken my body.  The echo of gobbling turkeys is heard in the distance.  

It is safest to run against traffic, as you can see the cars coming. However, being early morning no cars are out.  This allows me to run in center of the road where it is closest to flat.  The cant of the road puts uneven pressure on the body, so when there is traffic, I switch sides during a run to evenly build muscles. My stride is short, allowing one step to nearly roll into the next.  Each foot can almost move in a circular motion.  Eliminating the pounding the body receives with a longer, faster stride.    As I get closer to home I feel a gravitational pull toward the Keurig coffee machine.  The perfect cup of Green Mountain Donut House coffee awaits!  

No comments:

Post a Comment